taking a forum break, bye everyone

Friday, August 29, 2008

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5781022

18 comments

Anonymous said...

the forums just got 100% more intelligent

August 29, 2008 at 5:03:00 PM EDT
PussDaddy said...

IMHO, from my perspective, I think it is easy to see that this person has problems, and I do not mean that sarcastically, I mean real problems, and it is a shame people pile on to ridicule and agitate her furhter instead of just letting the thread die or not posting on it. I have seen her speak of wanting to commit suicide, and other things. How would they all feel if she did something like that after having their fun with her?

August 29, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

boohoohoo,

You have got to be kidding me! Can't you tell it's all about drama and attention. And can you please tell me why anyone who go on a business type forum and speak of wanting to commit suicide if it wasn't for the attention. And if you want to lecture people on how they have treated her, go on the etsy forums and tell them about it. Geez. Grow some brains!

August 29, 2008 at 8:35:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

people who are going to commit suicide don't tell others that they are going to do it. those who do such just want attention

August 29, 2008 at 8:55:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

Thank you Someone! Exactly what I was thinking, but couldn't get the words out.

August 29, 2008 at 10:43:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

someone said...
people who are going to commit suicide don't tell others that they are going to do it. those who do such just want attention

-----------

That's true.

August 30, 2008 at 1:05:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

And can you please tell me why anyone who go on a business type forum and speak of wanting to commit suicide if it wasn't for the attention.

--

Lots of reasons. People who are that low, truly that low, aren't often thinking clearly. Mental illness is so incredibly misunderstood, with good reason - so many who have a mental illness do things (or refuse to do things) that those who do not suffer from a mental illness think are, well, crazy, or, at the very least, strange, annoying, obnoxious, or attention-seeking. This isn't a comment on whether or not VTRT actually intended to commit suicide. I have no idea. What I'm trying to say is that mental illness is very real, and very hard to understand, for the person going through it and for those around them and society at large. Please do some research, please be more empathetic, please leave the diagnoses to the mental health experts. Please.

August 30, 2008 at 1:10:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

"someone said...
people who are going to commit suicide don't tell others that they are going to do it. those who do such just want attention"



If you're going to say something that inflammatory and ignorant, have the balls to sign your name so people can know who to avoid when looking for an empathetic ear if they ever have any problems.

Ignorance is ugly.

August 30, 2008 at 1:12:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

Sadly, I think this person has problems too. I know she is very young and immature. I hope she gets the help she needs. She tried to start something with me and I just ignore her.

August 30, 2008 at 1:32:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

as someone who has actually dealt with a close family member who really was depressed and tried to kill themselves-the lots of reasons you listed are completly off.
If someone is that down that they want to kill themselves, they don't seek attention, they HATE attention. They don't want it in any shape or form. They don't act out, they hide away.

Mental illness takes many forms, it's obvious you don't really have a clue about this subject (no offense) , and that you've never dealt with it. Sad that you paint people in such a way.

August 30, 2008 at 9:38:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

brooke-the fact that you think that that was ignorant shows YOUR ignorance. I speak from both a personal experience with a family member, as well as knowledge on the subject. I have great compassion on those dealing with depression and mental illness. Putting the truth and facts out there is all I was doing.

August 30, 2008 at 9:41:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

People that commit suicide often DO tell people beforehand.

I have seen this firsthand.

August 30, 2008 at 11:14:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

Uhm, actually it's one of those not politically correct factos that longer suicide notes are more likely written by people who are planning bad suicide attempts. Meaning, a suicide attempt that's set up to fail or one that the person realises won't work anyway. The manifesto style notes are usually a way to talk themselves out of it, as some sort of boost or attack at others.
Sucessful suicides more often are accompanied by short notes (most often less than 20 words) or none at all. To give you an idea how brief a note is usually written, the "suicide text message" is becoming prevalent over the last few years.

August 30, 2008 at 5:36:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

she's not well. making fun of her is a poor man's sport

August 30, 2008 at 5:55:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

Most of thread wasn't even about her.
In fact, that's what set her off--people weren't chiming in and saying "please stay."

The thread took a turn and stopped being about her around page 5 but she seemed to miss that.

As for the suicide comments--you're misinformed if you think people who talk about it don't do it.

August 30, 2008 at 10:14:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

Lots of reasons. People who are that low, truly that low, aren't often thinking clearly. Mental illness is so incredibly misunderstood, with good reason - so many who have a mental illness do things (or refuse to do things) that those who do not suffer from a mental illness think are, well, crazy, or, at the very least, strange, annoying, obnoxious, or attention-seeking. This isn't a comment on whether or not VTRT actually intended to commit suicide. I have no idea. What I'm trying to say is that mental illness is very real, and very hard to understand, for the person going through it and for those around them and society at large. Please do some research, please be more empathetic, please leave the diagnoses to the mental health experts. Please.
______________________________

Don't lecture me on mental illness. So it's okay for VTRT to have a complete meltdown and be a complete asshole for whatever reason and we are all suppose to sit back and pat her on the head and say "ahhhhh, poor thing...it will be okay, since you have a mental illness". Give me a fucking break. I don't buy it, I won't buy it. She is being an asshole because she chooses to be an asshole. I will be empathetic to someone who deserves it.

August 30, 2008 at 11:37:00 PM EDT
Anonymous said...

"According to government data, 70% of people who commit suicide tell someone about their plans, or give some other type of warning signs."

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2007/10/08/common-signs-of-someone-who-may-be-suicidal/

I had no idea she had mentioned suicide before. That changes my opinion. I thought she was just a drinker.

Talking about suicide may very well be about "drama and attention" but it's impossible to know for sure so why not reach out a hand or give her a friendly nudge in the right direction just in case?

August 31, 2008 at 12:32:00 AM EDT
Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

People that commit suicide often DO tell people beforehand.

I have seen this firsthand.
**********
no to thousands of people

September 2, 2008 at 9:19:00 AM EDT