COURTNEY LOVE IS AN ETSY MEMBER; PLEASE STOP CALLING HER OUT

Monday, March 30, 2009

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6098603

3 comments

Erika said...

How did I know she'd get her own category on Closed Threads?

And good points, eclipse. I wonder if public figures on Etsy should be subject to the same rules as they would IRL:

"Special rules apply in the case of statements made in the press concerning public figures, which can be used as a defense. A series of court rulings led by New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964) established that for a public official (or other legitimate public figure) to win a libel case, the statement must have been published knowing it to be false or with reckless disregard to its truth, (also known as actual malice)" [From Wiki]


Etsy does seem to be taking it's "play nice" rules to an illogical extreme in this case. Would it be calling out to simply criticize CL on artistic grounds, or for her public behaviour, if nothing regarding the BQ conflict or CL's Etsy connection were never mentioned? If I posted Hole in a "Bands you wish would die" thread, would that get the thread closed? I hope RobWhite is sincere in reviewing their policies on this subject.

March 30, 2009 at 12:54:00 PM EDT

eclipse says:
I think Sarah Palin should have made an Etsy account during the election. Then every single thread discussing her negatively would have had to be locked!
Any public figure would be smart to join etsy, even if they never buy anything, they can't ever be mentioned in the forums again after they join.

Eek is my etsy heroine, forever and always..

March 30, 2009 at 2:53:00 PM EDT
eclipse said...

Erika, yup! In this case I can see Etsy's reasoning- everyone is lawsuit-happy and they are desperately trying to stay clear of land mines. I don't actually blame them, they kind of got dragged into the dispute even though the transaction in question took place OFF etsy. It's really got nothing to do with them, except that some of the alleged libel was posted on their site.

But in general terms, because I always think about "what ifs", you have to wonder where does it end? How far can you go in squelching discussion of something that is in the news everywhere?

March 30, 2009 at 4:17:00 PM EDT