"Young women in this profession generally dress really well." *GLARE*
Monday, May 11, 2009
Labels:
Etc.,
please play nice with each other
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
By email -- closed.etsy.threads [at!] gmail.com
Instant Messenger -- ClosedEtsyThread on AIM or Closed.Etsy.Threads on GTalk
On Twitter -- ClosedThreads
14 comments
I apologize that this got out of hand, but the source of my comments were a misunderstanding. I thought that she did not have a job. She then stated she could not be bothered to wear a suit and I thought that that (at least partially) explained why she did not have a job.
May 11, 2009 at 10:41:00 AM EDTFor the record, I would like to state that I have apologized to CharmingDarling via convo. I have not received a reply.
I have to pipe in one thing, I would never wear a t-shirt to an interview and expect to get hired. I would never expect a guy to wear a t-shirt to an interview and get hired.
May 11, 2009 at 10:44:00 AM EDTThere is no such thing as a nice t-shirt for an interview.
Do not go to an interview in a t-shirt and expect to get hired.
I think there might be a confusion about the word "t-shirt".
May 11, 2009 at 5:02:00 PM EDTI assumed the person who wore that for interviews meant a dressy knit shell like this:
http://www.silkery.com/dorman/comp-ss-FL01.jpg
There are a lot of work-appropriate tops in a t-shirt cut, but they aren't your basic cotton t-shirt with a goofy saying or logo on the front.
Why would you expect a reply from her? You attacked her for now reason in an open forum. And if your "apology" was anything like what you are saying here, and what you convoed to me, then I wouldn't pay it much attention either.
May 11, 2009 at 5:54:00 PM EDTWhether or not you though she had a job is beside the point. It's actually worse, IMHO, that you said it to someone who you thought was unemployed. You don't *know* anyone else's circumstances until you've walked in their shoes.
Not every interview requires a 3 piece chick suit. There are knit "t-shirts" that go perfectly with jackets and slacks. This is one example where thinking outside your own personal experience would go a long way.
Oh, I thought they really meant a t-shirt.
May 11, 2009 at 7:37:00 PM EDTIf it's knit, it's not a t-shirt. It's a blouse. It may look like a t-shirt, but it's not a t-shirt.
May 12, 2009 at 1:19:00 AM EDT"If it's knit, it's not a t-shirt."
May 12, 2009 at 2:33:00 AM EDTWhat? T-shirts are knit. They are made out of cotton knit fabric.
Some people use the word T-shirt to mean any shirt that is a T-shape. When they specifically say "a NICE T-shirt", they are more likely referring to the type I linked to, not to a cotton Van Halen t-shirt.
Okay, that was a dumb moment on my part. But I don't know anyone in a professional environment that would refer to the blouse they are wearing (even if it is t-shaped, as most shirts are) as a t-shirt.
May 12, 2009 at 11:36:00 AM EDTPease-
May 12, 2009 at 11:47:00 AM EDTNowhere have I said that I was confused. Not in convo, not in the thread, not here. I have read the ENTIRE thread, backwards and forwards, and understood exactly what you were saying before I even posted.
You have not been subjected to any "venom" by me. As far as filth- if telling you I thought it was a bitchy thing to say was "filth" then so be it. I'll own it. I thought it was unnecessarily nasty, no matter to whom it was said, and no matter what their actual employment status was. People looking for work don't need to be crapped on by know-it-alls in the forums. Especially when they weren't seeking your advice or that of anyone else.
No I haven't walked in your shoes. Is there something in your life that endows you with the authority to scold strangers on their interview wardrobe, out of the blue, without cause? Didn't think so.
As for coming "from a completely different world than the people who hang out in Etc."....
Etc is a widely varied community of souls. Different tastes, different backgrounds, different beliefs and different experiences. I've seen you in there plenty. You are no better/ no worse than anyone else there.
You have not "apologized". You told me you were sorry I "witnessed" it. That's not being sorry for your own actions. I have no idea what you sent her- but I'm guessing it's more of the same. I personally don't care if you apologize to me. Just don't say you are when it's not the case.
Well, this is an interesting find. Didn't know *this* blog existed. Amazing what you can happen upon on the Internet.
May 12, 2009 at 8:54:00 PM EDTHere. From the horse's mouth...
This...
http://www.silkery.com/dorman/comp-ss-FL01.jpg
...is EXACTLY what I meant when I said t-shirt. Usually in black.
Thank you for the visual aid, Eclipse.
My bad for the poor word choice.
I refer to knit tops casually as t-shirts because they are made of knit material - you know, t-shirt material.
And, finally, if anyone had any questions about my interview attire, they could have asked for clarification...but didn't.
Plus, not all job interviews are alike. I was once passed over for a straight to management position at a clothing retailer because I was too dressy. How do I know this? The person interviewing me was wearing torn jeans, t-shirt and sandals. I think it's up to the person who is being interviewed to use their discretion on appropriate attire.
May 12, 2009 at 10:35:00 PM EDTSpareGus, I would have to agree. Most places these days are business casual.
May 13, 2009 at 9:33:00 AM EDTAt my most recent interview at an advertising agency, most everyone was in jeans.
The executive VP who interviewed me - the head of the division for which I interviewed - was in khakis and a button-down shirt that was not tucked in...with sleeves rolled up.
I suspect that if I went in there a full-blown polyester business suit with a fouffy blouse, it would have worked AGAINST me, because I wouldn't have fit the culture/environment.
(BTW, they're interested in hiring me if their current editor finds a teaching job. Guess my outfit was OK.)
Same goes for my current sales job, and some of my previous jobs, such as director of marketing, managing editor of a professional journal, and policy & procedure manager.
I've also worked as a consultant, and have been in many companies over the last 10 years, and most places just aren't that buttoned down anymore.
And, finally, if anyone had any questions about my interview attire, they could have asked for clarification...but didn't.
May 13, 2009 at 3:13:00 PM EDT_________
I know..... I know.....
Lesson learned!
And everyone- I received a reply from CD. :-)
Post a Comment