Attention Jewelry makers

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6163093

4 comments

Jen said...

Wow, this whole thread blew my mind. Essentially, this guy is soliciting jewelry to be donated so that he can give them away for free in exchange for "promotion?" I can see why it would be a great deal for him--to be able to give a handmade freebie with each of his items--but I can't really see any upside for the people supplying the earrings.

And yet, so many people were willing to just send stuff along.

I...wow.

June 3, 2009 at 6:24:00 PM EDT
Margaret said...

People get really desperate to get their shop out there in whatever way possible. I remember giving a bunch of items for a local silent auction (I was asked via etsy convo) and I never even got a thank you, or any business from it :) I learned my lesson! Just giving your stuff out blindly isn't promotion :)

June 3, 2009 at 8:49:00 PM EDT
SuzInToronno said...

Okay, let me get this straight. From what I've read in the forums, when a buyer tries to haggle price or postage, sellers are offended/insulted, yet with this guy, they can't wait to give it away *and* pay shipping. At least the haggler has enough respect for your work to actually pay for it!

I can't believe more people weren't offended by his audacity. Wonder what the reaction would have been had the OP been female.

June 3, 2009 at 9:21:00 PM EDT
KreatedbyKarina said...

I was amazed at how many people were agreeing to send him stuff...

June 5, 2009 at 4:31:00 PM EDT