As a person who makes jewelry and has all of the supplies that this person used to make that bracelet / earring set - I know for a fact that it cost less then $7-8.00 to make and less then 30 minutes to assemble. Just sayin'
But, on the other hand - every seller has the right to price their pieces what they feel is fair and reasonable. $24.00 for a set is VERY reasonable - considering if you separate them earrings would be between $10-15.00 and the bracelet alone would be priced at $15-20.00 - so $24.00 combined is a great deal. But I don't think ripping the persons head off who wrote the inquiry was appropriate.
I don' think its appropriate to be mean to someone for asking either...it doesn't hurt to ask (I wouldn't, I hate to even try and barter at flea markets/garage sales where you are 'supposed' to). It doesn't matter what it costs, it matters what the creator decides that their time is worth to make it.
Right, so once you add in fees, taxes, time spent acquiring skills and other business related expenses one would be foolish to sell yourself short on the price like that. I hate when people try to haggle jewelry based on the supplies cost. It's not a commodity.
4 comments
As a person who makes jewelry and has all of the supplies that this person used to make that bracelet / earring set - I know for a fact that it cost less then $7-8.00 to make and less then 30 minutes to assemble. Just sayin'
October 20, 2009 at 9:51:00 AM EDTBut, on the other hand - every seller has the right to price their pieces what they feel is fair and reasonable. $24.00 for a set is VERY reasonable - considering if you separate them earrings would be between $10-15.00 and the bracelet alone would be priced at $15-20.00 - so $24.00 combined is a great deal. But I don't think ripping the persons head off who wrote the inquiry was appropriate.
I don' think its appropriate to be mean to someone for asking either...it doesn't hurt to ask (I wouldn't, I hate to even try and barter at flea markets/garage sales where you are 'supposed' to). It doesn't matter what it costs, it matters what the creator decides that their time is worth to make it.
October 20, 2009 at 1:00:00 PM EDTThe OP's reply to her potential buyer makes me stay away from her shop.
October 20, 2009 at 2:13:00 PM EDTHow about some professionalism, OP?
Yeah, the buyer's request may have been out of line, but you just deal with it, professionally.
I agree with WL on this one.
Right, so once you add in fees, taxes, time spent acquiring skills and other business related expenses one would be foolish to sell yourself short on the price like that. I hate when people try to haggle jewelry based on the supplies cost. It's not a commodity.
October 20, 2009 at 4:08:00 PM EDTPost a Comment