"mandywillard says: Not to be rude but 2 other threads of this nature were recently stopped because Kate's sister is a member of etsy and was really offended by the nature of the conversation. I'm sure she would appreciate if this one stopped also."
Uhhhh... that's the price you pay when your white trash family airs their garbage on national TV for everyone to watch. DUH! I mean, Christ, if you don't want people TALKING about your life, don't have camera people follow you around! Morons!
I'm sorry but it seems to me like her sister trolls the forums looking for threads posted about the show. I mean how can she find all the threads unless she is searching for them?
If you don't like to see or hear people talking about your family then don't go looking on the forums for it.
I didn't even know these threads (or lots others) exsist cause I don't go trolling etc. or other areas for specific threads or threads at all unless I"m really, really, really bored.
Here's my thing...if the sister wanted so much "privacy" and wanted to keep Etsy as her "safe place" away from attention, people asking her about her family, etc...then why the hell did she out herself as a relative to begin with???
You can't expect privacy from people AFTER you tell an entire community of people that you're so-and-so, and then wanting special treatment.
And, yeah, I've noticed that she seems to hit every thread about the topic...to always come in and say about how she's the sister. It seems a little attention-getting to me, which is the complete opposite of what she's claiming to want.
Personally, i find it bananas that its now a shunned topic.
Its a television show.. if she had a shop, sure. But the whole idea of someones relative being on the forums so any topic concerning, even though its on 5 days a week, is off limits is crazy.
it might be in poor taste.. but its the internets yall. Not for the thin skinned.
I mentioned this whole mess to my mom, who's my shop partner, too...her first question was "why on earth is Kate's sister looking for a santuary in the Etsy forums, of all places?" Which is kind of how I feel. It's the last place I'd look to hang out in to avoid asshole behavior.
It just seems all so melodramatic to me...we can't talk about a television show because someone who is claiming to be a relative of that person (and I have to use the term "claiming" because we have no way of really knowing who's related to whom) MAY find the thread offensive....as claimed by other people who now think they are her personal spokesperson..as though they think of her as some peusdo-celebrity.
It's just nuts.
If we're not allowed to discuss the show, Etsy should list it in the rules. I'd love to see how they'd word it.
ETSY DOS AND DON'TS *Please do not call out sellers *Please do not talk about transactions *Please do not mention the Jon and Kate Plus 8 Television Show incase it might be disturbing to any relatives of them who may be members of this site.
The sister posted about the show a year ago maybe? Maybe a little longer, talking about how proud she was of her family. She STARTED that thread. A TV show can't be off limits for discussion, its a tv show! I can understand that the woman is having a hard time right now, but she should shield herself from reading about the show if she knows it will hurt her. She can't expect hundreds of strangers to avoid a subject because it hurts her feelings. Jon and Kate bring up vitriol everywhere people talk about them, and I'm not sure why. Even the TV without pity forum banned their show from discussion after a year of really angry forum posters. The whole thing is weird.
Karina I thought they only said "don't talk about J&K for now, until we post our final decision." They are still deciding the final policy, right now this is just temporary policy.
And the final policy won't be just specific to this show it would also have to cover things like negative comments about Courtney Love or Rosie O'Donnell, if those comments were not related to their Etsy activities but were related to their status as a public figure. There is a difference between threads talking about Courtney Love's lawsuit against an Etsy seller, and threads talking negatively about Courtney's music, movies, fashion choices, appearance, past drug use, etc. In the past the Etsy admins have shut down both types of threads, which sets a precedent that once a public figure is on Etsy, you can't ever say anything bad about them, even if the comment has nothing to do with Etsy. I think they went too far with censorship in the past and they are attempting a course correction, but they have to discuss where the line is drawn.
This may also apply to ordinary people who are Etsy members and get in the news, like that woman whose husband was missing last year. It's legitimate current events, but it's also an Etsy member. How should Etsy handle those discussions? I understand why this is a difficult line to draw. Can't you just reserve your reaction until the final policy is announced?
I understand what you're saying, Eclipse---but in all of those examples you gave, Rosie and Courtney are actual members of the site--so the Etsy rule about calling out would apply to them. The woman who's husband was missing last year is an Etsy member who started the original thread herself.
As far as I know, Jon & Kate aren't members of the site, Kate's sister is. No one in those threads are slamming the sister. I don't think the sister is "a public figure". She only became "public" on Etsy when she repeatedly outed herself in threads.
Admin says they are "discussing it" but do you really expect them to return to the community and speak their decision later on whether it's yea or nay? I doubt they would publically speak about any decision they've made regarding this situation unless Etsy members keep pressuring them to in threads. Etsy Admin are rarely known for having any decision they make behind closed doors open to all members.
All I'm saying is that if Etsy is going to stop people from talking about public tv shows because their members might happen to be relatives, then they should stop all threads about politicians, musicians, authors, news stories, etc. because you never know who may be related to someone on Etsy.
That situation with the missing husband was pretty crazy. He did have another life somewhere,(she admitted this in a tv interview this year) and the woman divorced him and got remarried in April. The ex is still missing though. When I think of all of the money that woman got from people on etsy, I just cringe. But anyway, Knowing a public figure shouldn't make that figure off limits for discussion. If I was related to madonna, I'd expect alot of crazy talk about her that I'd need to avoid. Same thing with this relative of a reality show family.
Honestly? This is the attitude that forces admin to HAVE to make stupid rules. If everyone goes around, behaving like selfish, spoiled little dicks, just because they can, eventually admin will have to step in. But if everyone would take the high road, and act with a little selfless decency when it's asked for, then we won't have to have ever more convoluted guidelines to navigate.
The sense of entitlement I'm hearing from everyone on this just astounds me.
If you act like kindergarteners, you'll be treated like kindergarteners. Is that what you want? Why do we have to sit around waiting for admin to do something? Are we not capable of thinking like adults, and knowing when it's time to just stop already? What the hell is so hard about this?
If admin *does* come up with another frigging rule, it'll be because of the people who insist on their right to be asshats, not the ones who called out to the community for more compassion.
No, I still really don't understand the idea of not allowing conversation about this show on the forum. If I'm related to Madonna, and all of Madonna's crazy madonna-ish antics bring up forum conversation, I can't really expect a group of complete strangers to not talk about my relative because it hurts my feelings when I VOLUNTARILY pop into the thread and read it all.
Ok, so I did this just to see how fast, if even, it would be closed just for having their name in the title. I searched first and came up with two old threads and went for the march one which was more recent. I posted a recent link to an article that came out today. Basically it was just to test and see if in fact her "sister" trolls the forums looking for threads about them.
Almost 3 1/2 hours later after only one other post robwhite did close it http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6091606&page=8
I would not be surprised if the "sister" saw it and reported it or it could have been someone else, we will never know but I still think it's assinine to close threads talking about articles, shows, and other current events just cause a supposed relative doesn't like them.
etsy can kiss my ass when it comes to these things.
Ok, so I did this just to see how fast, if even, it would be closed just for having their name in the title. I searched first and came up with two old threads and went for the march one which was more recent. I posted a recent link to an article that came out today. Basically it was just to test and see if in fact her "sister" trolls the forums looking for threads about them.
Almost 3 1/2 hours later after only one other post robwhite did close it http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6091606&page=8
I would not be surprised if the "sister" saw it and reported it or it could have been someone else, we will never know but I still think it's assinine to close threads talking about articles, shows, and other current events just cause a supposed relative doesn't like them.
etsy can kiss my ass when it comes to these things.
not sure why that posted twice and I didn't do anything to be vindictive. Like I said it was just a test to see how far admin is really taking this whole thing. Like I said no one else posted after 3 1/2 hours......it was buried but it still was closed. In other words someone IS going around searching the Jon and Kate threads to have them closed. I just saw a ton more on this blog that were closed. Where does etsy draw the line on censorship with it's members? I mean really, I have always had a problem with etsy admin, I really can't stand most of them and that is why I said they can kiss my ass, it was not said to be immature, it is my opinion.
See, this is the same thing that goes on in the forums, someone has an opinion, post it and then gets jumped on for doing so, wether by another member or admin or whoever.
It's obvious that free of speech does not apply on etsy and from what I am seeing not even here if people are going to take something totally out of context. Geez come on, for a person who has been muted before you of all people should know where I'm coming from.
I honestly didn't think anyone would post in that thread after I posted the link and I didn't even know that any other threads had been posted about them after the ones that were listed here till this morning that I just saw all the other closed ones.
19 comments
"mandywillard says:
May 27, 2009 at 7:36:00 PM EDTNot to be rude but 2 other threads of this nature were recently stopped because Kate's sister is a member of etsy and was really offended by the nature of the conversation. I'm sure she would appreciate if this one stopped also."
Uhhhh... that's the price you pay when your white trash family airs their garbage on national TV for everyone to watch. DUH! I mean, Christ, if you don't want people TALKING about your life, don't have camera people follow you around! Morons!
I'm sorry but it seems to me like her sister trolls the forums looking for threads posted about the show. I mean how can she find all the threads unless she is searching for them?
May 27, 2009 at 8:10:00 PM EDTIf you don't like to see or hear people talking about your family then don't go looking on the forums for it.
I didn't even know these threads (or lots others) exsist cause I don't go trolling etc. or other areas for specific threads or threads at all unless I"m really, really, really bored.
Obviously, it's unkind and insensitive to slam someone's family member once they've made themselves known. It's gross.
May 27, 2009 at 10:52:00 PM EDTBut it's equally distasteful to see some posters clearly getting off on "speaking" for Kate's sister just to inject themselves into the drama.
I really, really hope we never see another thread about these people. It seems to bring out the worst in everyone.
Here's my thing...if the sister wanted so much "privacy" and wanted to keep Etsy as her "safe place" away from attention, people asking her about her family, etc...then why the hell did she out herself as a relative to begin with???
May 28, 2009 at 7:03:00 AM EDTYou can't expect privacy from people AFTER you tell an entire community of people that you're so-and-so, and then wanting special treatment.
And, yeah, I've noticed that she seems to hit every thread about the topic...to always come in and say about how she's the sister. It seems a little attention-getting to me, which is the complete opposite of what she's claiming to want.
What is with all these Jon & Kate threads anyway??
May 28, 2009 at 8:01:00 AM EDTAre they THAT popular?
I must live under a rock or something; I don't see the appeal.
Personally, i find it bananas that its now a shunned topic.
May 28, 2009 at 3:02:00 PM EDTIts a television show.. if she had a shop, sure. But the whole idea of someones relative being on the forums so any topic concerning, even though its on 5 days a week, is off limits is crazy.
it might be in poor taste.. but its the internets yall. Not for the thin skinned.
I mentioned this whole mess to my mom, who's my shop partner, too...her first question was "why on earth is Kate's sister looking for a santuary in the Etsy forums, of all places?"
May 28, 2009 at 3:36:00 PM EDTWhich is kind of how I feel. It's the last place I'd look to hang out in to avoid asshole behavior.
Unfortunately I felt half the people in there were there to be bitches for the sake of being bitches....
May 29, 2009 at 1:51:00 AM EDTI think they were one the ones looking for drama. Not me. Or the rest of us that actually were concerned about another members feelings.
It was like a rabid pack of dogs.
It just seems all so melodramatic to me...we can't talk about a television show because someone who is claiming to be a relative of that person (and I have to use the term "claiming" because we have no way of really knowing who's related to whom) MAY find the thread offensive....as claimed by other people who now think they are her personal spokesperson..as though they think of her as some peusdo-celebrity.
May 29, 2009 at 3:53:00 AM EDTIt's just nuts.
If we're not allowed to discuss the show, Etsy should list it in the rules. I'd love to see how they'd word it.
ETSY DOS AND DON'TS
*Please do not call out sellers
*Please do not talk about transactions
*Please do not mention the Jon and Kate Plus 8 Television Show incase it might be disturbing to any relatives of them who may be members of this site.
Ridiculous.
The sister posted about the show a year ago maybe? Maybe a little longer, talking about how proud she was of her family. She STARTED that thread.
May 29, 2009 at 8:44:00 AM EDTA TV show can't be off limits for discussion, its a tv show! I can understand that the woman is having a hard time right now, but she should shield herself from reading about the show if she knows it will hurt her. She can't expect hundreds of strangers to avoid a subject because it hurts her feelings.
Jon and Kate bring up vitriol everywhere people talk about them, and I'm not sure why. Even the TV without pity forum banned their show from discussion after a year of really angry forum posters. The whole thing is weird.
Karina I thought they only said "don't talk about J&K for now, until we post our final decision."
May 29, 2009 at 5:41:00 PM EDTThey are still deciding the final policy, right now this is just temporary policy.
And the final policy won't be just specific to this show it would also have to cover things like negative comments about Courtney Love or Rosie O'Donnell, if those comments were not related to their Etsy activities but were related to their status as a public figure.
There is a difference between threads talking about Courtney Love's lawsuit against an Etsy seller, and threads talking negatively about Courtney's music, movies, fashion choices, appearance, past drug use, etc. In the past the Etsy admins have shut down both types of threads, which sets a precedent that once a public figure is on Etsy, you can't ever say anything bad about them, even if the comment has nothing to do with Etsy. I think they went too far with censorship in the past and they are attempting a course correction, but they have to discuss where the line is drawn.
This may also apply to ordinary people who are Etsy members and get in the news, like that woman whose husband was missing last year. It's legitimate current events, but it's also an Etsy member. How should Etsy handle those discussions? I understand why this is a difficult line to draw. Can't you just reserve your reaction until the final policy is announced?
I understand what you're saying, Eclipse---but in all of those examples you gave, Rosie and Courtney are actual members of the site--so the Etsy rule about calling out would apply to them. The woman who's husband was missing last year is an Etsy member who started the original thread herself.
May 30, 2009 at 7:10:00 AM EDTAs far as I know, Jon & Kate aren't members of the site, Kate's sister is. No one in those threads are slamming the sister. I don't think the sister is "a public figure". She only became "public" on Etsy when she repeatedly outed herself in threads.
Admin says they are "discussing it" but do you really expect them to return to the community and speak their decision later on whether it's yea or nay? I doubt they would publically speak about any decision they've made regarding this situation unless Etsy members keep pressuring them to in threads. Etsy Admin are rarely known for having any decision they make behind closed doors open to all members.
All I'm saying is that if Etsy is going to stop people from talking about public tv shows because their members might happen to be relatives, then they should stop all threads about politicians, musicians, authors, news stories, etc. because you never know who may be related to someone on Etsy.
That situation with the missing husband was pretty crazy. He did have another life somewhere,(she admitted this in a tv interview this year) and the woman divorced him and got remarried in April. The ex is still missing though. When I think of all of the money that woman got from people on etsy, I just cringe.
May 30, 2009 at 8:11:00 AM EDTBut anyway,
Knowing a public figure shouldn't make that figure off limits for discussion. If I was related to madonna, I'd expect alot of crazy talk about her that I'd need to avoid. Same thing with this relative of a reality show family.
Honestly? This is the attitude that forces admin to HAVE to make stupid rules. If everyone goes around, behaving like selfish, spoiled little dicks, just because they can, eventually admin will have to step in. But if everyone would take the high road, and act with a little selfless decency when it's asked for, then we won't have to have ever more convoluted guidelines to navigate.
May 30, 2009 at 11:38:00 AM EDTThe sense of entitlement I'm hearing from everyone on this just astounds me.
If you act like kindergarteners, you'll be treated like kindergarteners. Is that what you want? Why do we have to sit around waiting for admin to do something? Are we not capable of thinking like adults, and knowing when it's time to just stop already? What the hell is so hard about this?
If admin *does* come up with another frigging rule, it'll be because of the people who insist on their right to be asshats, not the ones who called out to the community for more compassion.
No, I still really don't understand the idea of not allowing conversation about this show on the forum. If I'm related to Madonna, and all of Madonna's crazy madonna-ish antics bring up forum conversation, I can't really expect a group of complete strangers to not talk about my relative because it hurts my feelings when I VOLUNTARILY pop into the thread and read it all.
June 1, 2009 at 1:46:00 PM EDTOk, so I did this just to see how fast, if even, it would be closed just for having their name in the title. I searched first and came up with two old threads and went for the march one which was more recent. I posted a recent link to an article that came out today. Basically it was just to test and see if in fact her "sister" trolls the forums looking for threads about them.
June 1, 2009 at 9:45:00 PM EDTAlmost 3 1/2 hours later after only one other post robwhite did close it
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6091606&page=8
I would not be surprised if the "sister" saw it and reported it or it could have been someone else, we will never know but I still think it's assinine to close threads talking about articles, shows, and other current events just cause a supposed relative doesn't like them.
etsy can kiss my ass when it comes to these things.
Ok, so I did this just to see how fast, if even, it would be closed just for having their name in the title. I searched first and came up with two old threads and went for the march one which was more recent. I posted a recent link to an article that came out today. Basically it was just to test and see if in fact her "sister" trolls the forums looking for threads about them.
June 1, 2009 at 9:47:00 PM EDTAlmost 3 1/2 hours later after only one other post robwhite did close it
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6091606&page=8
I would not be surprised if the "sister" saw it and reported it or it could have been someone else, we will never know but I still think it's assinine to close threads talking about articles, shows, and other current events just cause a supposed relative doesn't like them.
etsy can kiss my ass when it comes to these things.
Well that was immature and really quite vindictive Melanie.
June 2, 2009 at 1:36:00 AM EDTWell done.
not sure why that posted twice and I didn't do anything to be vindictive. Like I said it was just a test to see how far admin is really taking this whole thing. Like I said no one else posted after 3 1/2 hours......it was buried but it still was closed. In other words someone IS going around searching the Jon and Kate threads to have them closed. I just saw a ton more on this blog that were closed. Where does etsy draw the line on censorship with it's members? I mean really, I have always had a problem with etsy admin, I really can't stand most of them and that is why I said they can kiss my ass, it was not said to be immature, it is my opinion.
June 2, 2009 at 8:00:00 AM EDTSee, this is the same thing that goes on in the forums, someone has an opinion, post it and then gets jumped on for doing so, wether by another member or admin or whoever.
It's obvious that free of speech does not apply on etsy and from what I am seeing not even here if people are going to take something totally out of context. Geez come on, for a person who has been muted before you of all people should know where I'm coming from.
I honestly didn't think anyone would post in that thread after I posted the link and I didn't even know that any other threads had been posted about them after the ones that were listed here till this morning that I just saw all the other closed ones.
Strike me down for testing a theory.
Post a Comment